You are always very particular about the health of your dog and the choice of food you make for them. It happens that you may not be sure about feeding your dog wet or dry dog food. Both of them have their benefits, but there are always certain things to remember if you are thinking of switching your dog’s diet to wet dog food.
The advantages of wet dog food
There are always many reasons behind everything, and if you are providing wet dog food to your dog, then you need to know its advantages:
- Many dogs find canned food more palatable as compared to dry dog food. So, if you serve dry dog food to them and they turn their nose up at it, you should switch to wet dog food.
- Wet dog food contains a high moisture content, which keeps your dog hydrated.
- It contains the necessary nutrients to maintain an adult dog’s health or to aid in the growth of a puppy. If you are feeding your dog wet food, then you can be assured that they are getting all the required nutrients. So, even once a week, treat the dog with something that he/she loves to eat. And if you are providing them with wet dog food every day, then it is something good you are doing for your dog.
- If you feed them high-quality wet dog food, they won’t get diseases like upset stomachs or foodborne illnesses.
- It is suggested by veterinarians that if you give wet dog food to your dogs, then they will have healthy gums and teeth over their lifetime.
Isn’t it necessary to give such first aid to your dog? So, if you are not yet providing it to your dog, then don’t wait for anything and start it today!
How to introduce wet dog food to your dog?
It takes some time for dogs to adapt to the new changes, and if you are introducing wet dog food to them, then do it gradually by taking several days and not rushing it. Slowly, you can provide less dry food to your dog and a portion of wet dog food so that you can know if any ant risks or allergies are causing your dog to eat that food. They can also have digestive problems if you eventually switch to wet dog food.
Unlike any dry food, it is not a good option to keep the wet dog food outside for long, and that is why the cans and leftovers should be immediately refrigerated to avoid wastage. There can be tartar collected in the teeth of your dog if you provide them with wet dog food every day, which is why you make them brush to avoid any harm to their teeth.
The reality is that it is your choice to provide the required food for your dog, which can be either wet dog food or dry dog food. Choose the one that is good for your dog’s health.