As a parent, you have likely experienced first-hand the benefits of a chiropractic adjustment and you may be wondering whether chiropractic treatments are appropriate for your children as well. After all, you understand the value of routine chiropractic care, a non-invasive approach to help your body heal naturally.
If you are interested in learning more about how chiropractic care can help improve your children’s overall well-being, you should know that even the youngest of infants can benefit emotionally and physically from the hands-on approach of a chiropractor. Let’s see what else a chiropractor has to offer to your child.
Should You Take Your Kid to a Chiropractor?
Children spend their days jumping, running, and playing. It is unavoidable even for babies who are starting to crawl to get an injury such as a shoulder that is misaligned, an aching neck, or pain in their backs. Having an injury and feeling pain will mean that their entire day can be disrupted. From not feeling up to sitting down to eat, to being unable to sleep, your child will not be their usual self.
Here is a list of reasons why you should consider chiropractic care for your child:
Babies can experience:
- Difficulties with crawling, walking, or standing
- Issues with breastfeeding
- Interminable reflux
Children and Adolescents
Chiropractic care may benefit these age groups when they have:
- Ear infections
- Digestive issues
- Constant headaches
- Spinal misalignment
How Do I Know When to Take My Child to a Chiropractor?
Here are a few signs you may want to be on the lookout for:
- You notice that your child complains of recurring body aches, particularly in the neck or back.
- You notice that your child has a hard time falling asleep or, once asleep, wakes up and is unable to sleep comfortably through the night.
- There is a limited range of movement and your child may have a hard time rotating their head or neck because of pain.
- Your child may complain of persistent headaches. These may be due to a spine that is misaligned and your chiropractor can help by improving blood circulation with a chiropractic adjustment.
- You notice that your child has a bad posture. If their spine is left untreated, your child may later be dealing with more serious developmental issues.
- Mood swings and irritability. These can improve when the child’s spine is realigned because a healthy nervous system will help your child better manage their emotions.
What Are the Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Children?
Here are some of the most salient benefits of chiropractic care for children and adolescents.
Sleeping Problems Are Addressed
When a child cannot sleep peacefully through the night, their whole day will also be disturbed. After all, sleep promotes emotional well-being, brain development, and a strong immune system. Taking them to a skilled chiropractor will result in a release of the stress and tension that is keeping them from being able to fully relax at night.
When a child’s life is filled with stress, they will not be at their best. A chiropractic adjustment will promote better overall temperament.
Better Brain Development
When their body gets rid of tension in their spine, joints, muscles, and neck, it opens the doors to more natural brain development, also benefiting their concentration and focus.