Between going to work, paying bills, and just getting through day to day life, it’s easy for everything to feel monotonous. I think there’s a lot to be said for spontaneous humor and surprises, especially between spouses.
Here are some ideas of fun and easy traditions you can start that will create special moments in between the blue moons especially on your anniversary night:
1. Keep a stack of “car questions.” You can use the Conversation Starters cards, cards from the game Loaded Questions, or just write your own random questions on index cards. Keep them in the glove box and you can ask each other while sitting in traffic or on a long trip.
2. Change the screen saver. Instead of having a picture of your kids or yourselves on your computer screen saver or background, make a fun game out of it. Randomly change the screen saver sometimes to funny pictures you find online. You can also post pictures of inside jokes or anything that the other one either loves or hates. For instance, my husband hates sloppy joes, so I once changed our screen saver to a picture of a giant, cafeteria-style sloppy joe. He got me back by changing it to a picture of Barney.
3. Leave pictures of celebrities (again, those that the other one either loves or hates) in random places. My husband loves Mila Kunis, so when I find a picture of her in a magazine I leave it in his car or on the mirror in the bathroom. Sometimes I draw a little conversation bubble coming out of the mouth to make her say something funny.
4. Try to buy something very little for the other one when you go to the store. For instance, when I go to the grocery store, I try to find just one item that will surprise my husband (but also that he will use or eat!) just to make him laugh.
5. Keep a mason jar on your dresser. Throughout the year, write down something little that you love about the other one, and put it in the jar. On your anniversary each year, sit down together and read all of them.
6. Each month schedule a surprise date night and take turns planning it. Rather than going for dinner and a movie, go somewhere completely different such as a bingo hall or paddle boarding.
7. Each time you hear a song that reminds you of the other one, make a CD of that song, and only that song, and leave it in the other person’s car. Keep a cd case just for these CDs.
8. In your day to day life, make tea or coffee for your other half and keep a tiny note for them. This note could be a love statement, a quotation if they are going through a tough time at work or simply an appreciation for them to feel awesome.
9. If both of you are fond of reading, one of the best things you can do to add more to your marital life is read to each other. Selecting days and book for each other, it a great thing to snuggle, with hot chocolate, a cup of coffee and read every night.
10. Flowers are an old tradition but it’s totally worth it every season and every age. Giving your spouse flowers, every time you go for grocery is the right way to tell her/him that they are special.
11. We both have movie tastes, so we make sure that each one of us watches a movie that we wouldn’t want to watch else ways alone.
12. We try not to be as old as our age. How do we do that? We keep our youthfulness alive by playing cards, board games and Pictionary. Some weekend nights are fun having ice-cream, crisps and a few rounds of games.
13. Although this is the digital era, nothing beats the love that comes from letters. If both of you have been busy with work and not getting a chance to be together, a short love letter will be your way to express. Later in your life, you can sit together and read these love letters.
14. Our work routine doesn’t allow us to go out very often, therefore, we’ve made a spot in the house which is our place to be together, other than the bedroom. These spots keep on changing and we hang on to it until we find a new spot with a new activity. These days, it’s middle of the staircase where we sit and talk about our whole day.
The list to make each day special without making any special efforts can go on and on. While you try some of the above, let me tell you my most favourite these days. It’s a board game that is not very expensive and also gives us both a refreshing time together. If you wish to explore, here is the link:
hope you are able to revive the beauty of your relationship. Do share me with your experiences.