If you are planning to move to a new home, there are lots of things you need to put into consideration and accomplish for it to be successful and less hassle. You need to find a moving company or a truck that you can rent if you are opting for a DIY move. But before that, you first need to pack all your things properly and in an organized manner. To be able to do this, you will need a number of essential items to help you.
When packing for a move, using enough moving supplies and using them correctly can help make your move successful. If you’re moving soon but haven’t started the process yet, you’re in the right place. Today, we are giving you a list of the items you need for a successful move.
Items Needed for Packing
Before you start packing up your home, you need to know what packing supplies are needed to make sure that your belongings stay safe during the move. Here are the most essential packing materials that you need to move to guarantee a smooth and successful relocation experience.
1. Moving Boxes and Containers
When you hear the word moving, large boxes probably come to your mind. This is because corrugated cardboard boxes are needed when moving. It is something that will help you transport your items easily. They are convenient, efficient, and very affordable to use for shipping goods across the country. But aside from boxes, you can also use other containers to pack your items.
Here are the different boxes and containers you can use:
- Standard Packing Boxes for Moving: It is impossible to make a residential move without using plenty of clean and sturdy boxes of different sizes. The number of moving boxes you need depends on the number of things you need to pack. You can use small packing boxes for small and heavy things like books and toolsand for fragile items. Medium-sized boxes are perfect for clothes, toys, small appliances, and electronics. Large moving boxes, on the other hand, are perfect for beddings, curtains, and other bulky but lightweight pieces.
- Specialty Boxes:Standard cardboard boxes may not work well for items that are irregularly shaped or those that are breakable or valuable. With these, you will need specialty boxes that are designed for special purposes. Some of these are wardrobe boxes for hanging clothes, dish pack boxes for fragile kitchen items, picture boxes for framed artwork and mirrors, and file boxes for important documents.
- Different Types of Bags: Bags are not as practical as moving boxes, but they can also come in handy when moving. You can use suitcases and travel bags to hold your clothes and personal items. You can also use them to pack books and other heavy items. If you have sealable bags, you can use them to pack small items together and keep them organized. You can utilize vacuum bags to pack soft bulky items like pillows, blankets, and winter clothes to save lots of space. If you are taking your mattresses with you, you can protect them by using mattress bags to keep them dry and clean during the move. For lightweight items that cannot be damaged easily, you can use trash bags.
- Other Moving Containers:You can also use other containers when moving, such as custom-made wooden crates for packing and moving delicate pieces of art and antiques, baskets for toiletries, small toys, and miscellaneous items, and buckets for packing and moving cleaning supplies and other items in the bathroom. Also consider help and options like shipping from singapore to new zealand and other situations you may find your self in.
2. Wrapping and Cushioning Materials
When packing your items, you also need to ensure the safety of your things. Make sure that your things will stay safe during the move. To do this, they need to be well-cushioned and perfectly immobilized in their packing containers. With this, you also need to have quality wrapping and padding materials that will absorb vibrations and shocks during transportation. Here are some of the wrapping and cushioning materials you can use:
- Bubble Wrap: This is important for protecting fragile items during a move. It is an air-filled material that will protect breakables, such as plates, glasses, electronics, and other similar items. You can also use it to wrap protruding furniture parts, such as handles and legs, and as well as awkwardly shaped pieces to make sure they are safe during the move.
- Packing Paper:This is a soft and smooth wrapper that can provide protection to glass surfaces and delicate items. Aside from wrapping, you can also use it to cushion layers between the items in a box. You can also crumple it and wedge into the empty spaces in a moving container to prevent shifting during the move.
- Moving Blankets: These are large, soft, and thick blankets or pads that you can wrap around furniture pieces, appliances, and other larger items to protect them from dents and scratches during the move. You can also use them as additional cushioning to the items in the moving truck.
- Plastic Wrap: You can use plastic wrap to keep dirt, dust, and moisture away. It also sticks to itself and leaves no residues on the surface. It is also thick and strong, making it great to use for bundling oddly-shaped items together.
- Packing Peanuts: This can provide excellent padding and protection to delicate items, like artwork and electronics. You just need to cover the bottom of the box with a layer of packing peanuts and place your wrapped item inside. You can also add a layer on top and shake the box to fill any gaps.
- Foam Cushioning: You can also use foam sheets to protect heavy items that may crush bubble wrap and packing peanuts. It can also create a fitting cushioning for irregularly shaped items. However, this can be expensive.
3. Securing Materials
The last part of packing your items for moving is to secure the packaging. This means that you need to seal the boxes, fix the wrapping in place, and more. To do this, here are some of the materials you need:
- Packing Tape: It is important to seal your boxes to keep your things safe. Therefore, when packing, make sure that you use lots of quality packing tape to seal and reinforce your boxes. You can also use it to secure the wrapping around larger household pieces. But make sure that you do not tape directly on painted or polished surfaces.
- Rope and Straps: You can also use rope and straps to tie the moving blankets and other wrapping materials around your furniture. You can also use them to bundle your moving boxes or to keep furniture doors and drawers closed tightly.
4. Packing Accessories
Here are some of the packing accessories that help you:
- Tape Dispenser: This is a simple tool, but it will help you seal your moving boxes easier and faster.
- Scissors, Knife, or Box Cutter: These are useful for cutting bubble wraps, packing paper, cardboard pieces, ropes, and more.
- Permanent Markers: You can use permanent markers to label your moving boxes and write important information.
Items Needed for Moving
After you packed all your things for moving, the next step is to find the best moving company or a truck you can rent if you are self-moving. Here are some of the essential things you must have to accomplish this:
- Internet: To be able to research about your future area and moving options, you need reliable and stable internet access. This way, it will be easier for you to find reliable information that will help with your move.
- Financial Plan and Calculator:When moving, you also need to do some budgeting. To do this successfully, you need to have a financial plan and a calculator.
- Moving Strategy and Checklist:To make your move organized and plan your relocation tasks, it is better to have an efficient moving strategy and a detailed moving checklist.
- Movers: And of course, when moving house, you can do it better if you have trustworthy movers.
These are some of the items that you need for a successful move. You can always look for help like with Wridgways local removalists as a great option. We hope this list will help you in making your move more organized and hassle-free.