Succulents have long been one of the most common varieties of indoor plants. There are a lot of reasons for their appeal. They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes and take relatively little attention in the way of watering and pruning. There are several succulent species that don’t need a lot of light, which makes them the best alternative for spaces devoid of natural light. Succulents are named because of their designed, dense, fleshy, sappy leaves. These leaves make them more efficient holding and retaining of water than thinner leaves.
Origin of succulents
Originally, succulents come from dry and arid regions like deserts. There are also some succulents, like orchids, that get precipitation, but they grow in areas or branches in which the rain does not hit them so quickly. Many succulents come from Africa and other places where plants have developed ways to store and use water more safely and efficiently.
Popularity of succulents
Succulents are naturally around for a long time and have been used for many years as office plants and indoor gardens. Yet their success seems to have increased in recent years. There are several reasons:
- They are low maintenance. They have to be watered less and cut little.
- They are available in various sizes, colors, and shapes. This involves very small plants that can easily be put in small pots on a desk.
- They attract fewer insects and pests. Plants attract pests several times due to frequent irrigation needs. The risk of pests decreases significantly if you do not need to water plants, for example with succulents. The dense and waxy leaves of the succulents often make penetration and feeding more difficult for pesticides.
- Greenhouses and shops can easily be sold. As it can last without water for long periods, it can stay on a truck for days to make transport easier. Many succulents are very little which enables farmers with lower freight costs to ship large numbers. Some can be packaged and delivered around the country with plastic bags. They can be kept for longer and longer in the middle of the yard.
- For many plants, overgrowing is quite complicated. Some common indoor plants, such as Pothos, have problems with their growth and finally with their production. Maintenance is needed which can be a disadvantage.
Where to buy them from?
Succulents are so common that they can be seen anywhere that plants are sold. It will vary from garden centers to bigger box shops. There may also be a number of stores that market the plants. Moreover, various online sites provide succulents for sale which is a very good option.
However, it is strongly advised to partner with indoor design experts if you are interested in adding succulents to your private room.
Are these easy to take care of?
One cause of the popularity of succulents is that they are easy to care for. You do not need a lot of water or you would repot. Slowly growing, they don’t have to be cut. Although it is very clearly mentioned that they don’t need much water, people seem to want to water plants every day. For succulents, this does not happen.
You can’t go wrong with succulents when it comes to a hardy plant that lives well indoors. Thanks to their wide range, easy care, and slow growth, they are suitable for indoor use. Therefore, if you want plants to enhance your interior, please take succulents into account.