Traveling with a baby must seem exciting for most parents. But with proper planning, parents can enjoy traveling with their babies. Your little one might even enjoy the whole experience of being on the road with other people. However, keep in mind the following if planning to travel with your child.
Ensure your little one is old enough to travel
Ideally, the first 40 days after your child is born are best avoided for any type of traveling. It’s the period when your little one needs to develop its immune system and needs rest. Some airlines have strict age restriction policies for babies and don’t allow a baby on board unless they are at least a couple of months old. When the baby is about three months old, it’s considered safe to travel, and babies’ immune systems should be developed by then. Surprisingly, infants enjoy traveling! As long as you consider their needs, everyone will be calm and happy!
But once the baby is six months or older, they should have a fixed sleeping routine, and you might be required to travel around their unique needs. And that’s the part where most parents struggle, as they don’t consider their babies’ needs when deciding to go on a trip.
How to keep your baby safe when traveling?
It makes total sense to follow the rules when traveling with infants. Just keep it simple; plan your trip so that it doesn’t become exhausting for the baby. Try to keep your schedule flexible, so the baby accommodates faster and follows their sleeping routine and feeding hours. Ideally, choose a child-friendly destination and accommodation.
Here’s what you need to keep in mind:
- It’s wise to carry along a baby car seat and baby’s first aid kit with all essentials to handle medical issues if there are any. Babies are very needy, so that they can experience medical problems like nausea, colic, fever, cough, upset tummy, and so on. Also, if your baby struggles with a type of sickness, it’s best to consult a doctor before traveling. You may receive a prescription of medicines; case you’re traveling by air flight.
- It’s also a great idea to use window shades or even a towel on the windows to help protect your kid from the harsh sun. Ideally, pack some sunscreen and proper clothes for the baby. They mustn’t be exposed to the direct sun without an adequate level of protection.
- Another important tip: dress your child with bright colors, so it’s easier for you to locate them in highly crowded places. You might also make them wear a bracelet or a necklace with your name and phone number on it.
Feeding a baby while traveling
You may be required to travel with a baby, or you may just want to relax on a vacation after a long while of being stuck at home, getting used to your new life as a parent. All you need to ensure is to carry sufficient water, food, and baby formula if needed. As mentioned, infants are needy, and they don’t have the patience to wait when they want something. If you are traveling by car, make sure you get a baby car seat; it’s mandatory to ensure your baby’s safety while on the road. Also, take regular breaks to breastfeed the baby and make sure the baby is relaxed and comfortable in the car seat. For babies that require formula, you may want to plan in advance: here’s what you need to consider:
- Carry a light backpack with mini formula food containers.
- A pre-sterilized travel baby bottle with nipple is essential.
- If you travel with a toddler, pack some cereals, which can be easily mixed with milk to feed your child. It’s always a great idea to buy your baby’s favorite food, so they can be relaxed while traveling.
- Don’t forget about the wet wipes; they’re also necessary.
- Bring drinking water to help maintain your child hydrated throughout your journey.
- If you’re traveling by airflight, make sure you carry adequate food for the trip.
What’s most important to pack for your baby?
It is wise to pack considering your destination and how much you’re going to be away. Make a list with all the necessities while traveling with a baby before you start preparing the suitcases. It can help you not to forget important stuff for your baby, and also, pack exactly what’s needed. If you’re traveling with a baby, a stroller that’s lightweight might be ideal. If it occupies too much space, forget about it and opt for a baby sling or a carrier, which is more practical and you can feel free to move.
Your baby might be used to sleeping only in their room or bed. This can be an issue when staying at a hotel. If you can’t carry your baby’s little cot, you may consider having their favorite blanket or pillow, instead. It’s a great way to help your baby remember their home’s and bed smell by bringing one of their favorite toys or blankets. The familiar feel of home can help soothe and calm the baby before sleep. Also, don’t forget about the essentials, like diapers, wipes, bibs, tissues, rash cream, baby soap and lotion, spoons, etc. They will engage with the new place easier. Pack a bag with your baby’s favorites, like toys, colored crayons, their favorite coloring book, puzzles, etc.
Another useful tip is to take proper rest before the trip. It will help you and your family remain peaceful and handle situations that may come unexpectedly. Traveling with a baby can be difficult, especially if you’re not taking the time to plan everything above.