Hosting your kid’s birthday party – particularly a party that carries a certain theme – may present some challenges. But it will be all worth it especially when you see your little birthday celebrant and their little guests having a blast!
Gaming parties aren’t just restricted to classic arcade games; they can be also inspired by popular gaming apps. Among the most popular games used as birthday party themes are Super Mario, Minecraft, Angry Birds, Pac-Man and Candy Crush. Many gaming parties for kids are a combination of all of their favorite video games, along with classic video game elements such as a joystick or a Wii game controller, gold coins, logos, etc.
For me (and to other moms as well), it’s absolutely enjoyable to make themed décor, food, party games and party favors based on your children’s favorite video games and their characters. It allows you to be creative. And since this is going to be your kids’ day, you should also encourage them to contribute their input and ideas – remember, they know a lot more about video games than you probably do! Plus, having your kids involved during the preparation will definitely make it less of a chore and even more enjoyable!
Here are some awesome tips to make your video game hosting duties more manageable, less stressful, and even a bit more fun:
- Create printable invitations, decorations and goodie bags that are inspired by your kid’s video game character of choice.
- If you would like to really personalize items for your guests, for example create cool “VIP All Access” badges for each kid who is invited to the party, with their own names on each of badges.
- Photo booths are really popular at any kinds of parties these days, and who wouldn’t want them, right? If you’re going the DIY way, it doesn’t have to be complicated if you’re looking for a photo booth arrangement that’s easy to set up and take down (after the party is over). It’s as simple as painting a one-piece board or even just hanging a colorful printed fabric as a backdrop, complete with light stands.Then create printable photo booth props for the guests to hold while having their fun and wacky photo-ops! These printable photo booth props can be easily found and downloaded on the Internet and they come in many designs, from Mario’s signature moustache and red hat to Pac-Man and his colorful “ghost” enemies.
- Take your game theme or your kid’s favorite video game main character to the hilt. Cake, themed desserts, snacks, drinks and other goodies, as well as party favors should be inspired by the chosen video game theme and/or character. They will be sure-fire hits for your young birthday celebrant and their guests!
- What’s a gaming party without actually playing some – you guessed it – video games? Choose a video game wherein more than one character can play at the same time. This will encourage a collaborative and cooperative playing from all of the young guests, and will definitely bring tons of energetic fun among them!
- Guests may have their own preferences in video games. Unless you have chosen a single game theme in particular, make sure that you have a variety of games at hand so that there will be something to pique your guests’ interests. Who knows, they might even surprise you with their own choices!
- The kids are obviously engaged in playing video games. But I’m sure adults would love to have some fun, too! Nearly everyone – kids, parents, teens and even grandparents – is willing to try something new especially when they’re handed a joystick, a Wii controller or a handheld console. Your job as a host is to lead by example so that others will be encouraged to join in the fun too (I bet they will definitely want to!).
If hosting a gaming party may sound overwhelming, do not worry! The fact is that it is possible for moms to host a great gaming party that’s awesome and fun. It is sure to bring wide smiles to your little birthday celebrant and their guests, and that’s the most important!