Depending on the city where students study, they may need their own car. Some major cities of the USA have a well-developed infrastructure of public transportation. Besides, there are permanent problems with parking spaces and lots. You can also try it and visit Spacer.com, an excellent place to compare monthly parking rates in several cities, including Oakland. In this case, the purchase of a car will be a waste of money. But if you are looking for a budget-friendly vehicle that you really need, or you are a parent looking for such an option for your kid, here are the main considerations that you should pay attention to before choosing a particular model:
- Price: higher education is expensive in the USA. Complementing the tuition fees with rent and nutrition, the overall cost is quite impressive. That is why a lot of students consider used vehicles. Depending on the year of production, their prices may vary from 15% up to 80% of the new car price. If you need a vehicle not so often, it is worth considering to rent it rather than buying one.
- Insurance: evaluating a budget for a car, take into account the annual insurance fees. They depend on the state of a specific vehicle, your age, driving record, place of residence, state laws, and specific safety features of a car. You can save some money by choosing an older vehicle. But is it really worth it if an insurance fee will be higher?
- Other fees: aside from insurance, there can also be taxes and annual fees applied to private cars in a particular state. Besides, it is necessary to take into account the availability and cost of parking lots.
All in all, before you proceed to the selection of a specific model, make your own investigation, just like you do when you need any service like yarkoweb or food delivery.
Top-5 Affordable Cars for Students
The below suggestions are provided without prices because they are subject to constant changes. Besides, some may be considering used options, while others can afford a new vehicle through options like west virginia bhph and other options. So, check out the proposed cars for students.
1. Ford Ecosport
An entry-level SUV with compact dimensions and ample space for cargo possesses quite decent crash ratings for a car like this. Here are the main features for which it is placed in the first place:
- four-wheel drive;
- a powerful engine;
- aluminum wheels;
- high-performance tires and brakes;
- a powerful infotainment system; and
- soothing ambient lighting.
2. Chevrolet Sonic
A compact four-door hatchback sedan has such available and standard features as:
- ten airbags,
- the rear-view camera,
- the Driver Confidence Package (lane departure warning, rear park assist, and forward collision alert).
You can find this car in the market of used vehicles at a pretty attractive cost.
3. Jeep Wrangler
This option is not so affordable and fuel-efficient as the previous ones. But if you need to carry a lot of luggage from home to the campus and vice versa, or if you are looking for a vehicle to share with a sibling, it is definitely worth considering the Jeep.
4. Mazda 3
Compact, efficient, safe, affordable. These are the main four words that we can tell about this option. Sedan or hatchback, automatic or manual transmission, 4-wheel or front-wheel drive. Make your choice between different configurations.
5. Toyota Yaris
A subcompact car (sedan or hatchback, with manual or automatic transmission) has an impressive set of safety features that include:
- lane departure alerts,
- automatic high beams, and
- a pre-collision deterrence system.
As you can see, there are quite decent options that provide convenience, comfort, and, most importantly, safety. Consider our recommendations and make your choice. Buying the first car is always exciting and even worrisome.