Routers are one of the best tools that helps us to make work easy at our homes. With cable routers, you can make various designs of your table, build shelves, or make what you need. Porter-cable routers are powerful and efficient power tools that use their horsepower motor to generate extraordinary revolutions per minute to have a precise cut on the object. Various porter cables are designed in unique ways to ensure they have done their work well.
What is a porter cable router?
Porter-cable is an American company that manufactures power tools. The company was founded in 1906, and since then, it has involved in the manufacture of various power tools. One of the famous is the porter cable router, which is used in woodwork.
Ways how you use your porter cable router
Before you begin to use your porter cable router, it is good to consider the type and amount of material that you need to remove. This will help you to avoid overloading when you begin your cut on the actual work piece. Below are the ten ways how to use porter cable router
- Ensure your working area is well lit and clean to avoid accidents
- Do not use the tool on places with explosive such as flammable gases, dust, or liquid because the tool creates sparks which might cause a fire.
- Make sure your power tool plug matches with the outlet. Do not use unmodified adapters because they are a risk to shock.
- The tool should not be exposed to wet or rain conditions. Water increases the chances of shock.
- When using the power tool outdoor, always consider the extension cord that is suitable for outdoor use. This will help in reducing the chances of shock.
- When operating the tool, wear protective gear for eye and body protection in general. Tools like a hard hat, dusk mask, should be used.
- Any adjusting wrench or key should be removed before turning the power tool on. This is done to avoid any injury onto the body.
- Avoid forcing your power tool instead use the correct tool for your application. The ideal power tool works correctly and safely on the work it was designed to do.
- Keep maintenance on your power tool. The constant check should always be done to remove and repair breakages, which might affect the tool’s working condition.
- Keep your cutting edges clean and sharp because they allow easy control of the device.
Details and instruments
Various Porter cable router accessories help to make it work best. The instruments include,
- Porter cable router template guide is one of the template guide kits that is easy and perfect for use. It can support a wide range of routing applications.
- PORTER-CABLE Router Edge Guide- this instrument is for various models of 100, 691, 690, 893, 891, 892. The device is built with a durable material from anodized, extruded aluminum to offer the extra strength, sliding, and smooth operation.
- PORTER-CABLE Router Sub Base- helps in fastening and protection
- PORTER-CABLE Router Edge Guide (42160) – it helps in providing controlled and consistent cuts. It uses the straight workpiece for edge and inside cuts.
- PORTER-CABLE 42999 1/4-Inch Self Releasing Collet-is made in a way to protect the stuck bits from braking when woodworking and porter cable 42999 allows easy removal of the collet nut together and prevents the loss of the bits.
- Bosch Deluxe Router Edge Guide- it includes the dust extraction hood plus a vacuum hose adapter RA1054. They are adjustable, versatile, and convertible for easy and quick conversion to guide circle to make arcs and circles of 32-inch diameter.
- POWERTEC 71051 Router Template Guide Set-it includes a 10-piece router template with an eight guide busing set and two lock nut. It is of different sizes to offer a suitable assortment of a router made to hold a variety of applications.
- PORTER-CABLE Plunge Router Base for 693 (6931)-weighs 6.4 pounds and measures 12.5 X 8.8 X 12.0 inches. This makes it compatible with router motors 6902, 6902Vs.
- DCT Brass Router Template Guides Bushing 8-Piece Set & 2 BONUS Lock Nuts – Porter-Cable Guide Bushings 5/16 to 1in is made of a wide range of porter cable sizes that ensure there is full flexibility within the bit plate and the templates to fit the guide adapter.
- PORTER-CABLE Router Height Adjuster (75301) – this device is designed to comfortably fit on the router when it is inverted within the router table. It ensures that it fits when you enter the model number.
- PORTER-CABLE 42975 3/8-Inch Router Collet-it is suitable with all 890 and 690 router bases.
- Hiltex 10100 Tungsten Carbide Router Bits with 15-Piece Set- has a sharp YG8 tungsten carbide that ensures there are accurate and clean cuts to all types of cuts on woods. The material is made of alloy steel to offer durability and longevity.
- PORTER-CABLE Plunge Router Base (8931) – the accessory is ideal for 892 and 891 router models. The plunge base is used for efficient dust removal and improve cutline visibility when cutting.
- PORTER-CABLE Corner Chisel (42234) – it is self-aligned to offer the maximum accuracy. It also squares the hinge corners.
- Big Horn 14107 Universal Offset Router Base Plate- it is compatible with Dewalt, Hitachi, Bosch, and Porter-Cable. The instrument makes the routing of the edges easy and keeps the router in the workplace.
These are some of the significant porter cable router accessories that help the machine to work perfectly.
Frequently asked questions
What does a porter cable router do?
Porter cable router is a powerful and efficient machine that is used in woodworking. It is designed with various features to ensure routing is easy and comfortable when cutting all woodwork jobs.
How do I change the bit on my porter cable router?
The bit change is so easy, first ensure you have unplugged the router before you begin changing the bit. Secondly, remove the old bit with two wrenches where the first wrench is placed on the shaft and pull the bit out of the shaft. Then you slide the collet towards the shaft. Slide the new bit onto the opening and pull it up to around 1/8 inch. By doing this, you will have replaced it.
How do you use the edge guide on a router?
Edge guide acts as one of the accessories to help routing operations like slotting operations, straight edge planning, and parallel grooving.
Where is the porter cable router made?
The main headquarter for porter cable is in Jackson, Tennessee. The product is currently manufactured in China and Mexico after the manufacturing ceased in the US.
How do you use a dovetail jig porter cable?
The tool manual comes with pictures that show how you can ideally use it. You need to follow this or watch some Youtube videos for a guide if you are stuck.
Does porter cable make a cordless router?
Some porter cable does combine the performance of earlier cable power tool with that of cordless tool to have convenience in the working.
Porter cable router plays a significant role when it comes to woodwork and routing. It is good to understand how to use it and maintain the power tool accessories. The article has highlighted the major information concerning the tool.