So, you have decided that you want to move and finalized arrangements for your new home. Everything seems to be going great, but there is one problem: you are moving across states to start your new life. It may seem like a daunting task, but we assure you, thousands of people do it every year. While a regular truck may not quite do the trick, a moving container offers a convenient and inexpensive way to move all your belongings to wherever you want to go. Do you have a long-distance move coming up? Our relocation assistance specialists can help you move with a moving container. Here’s how.
How Moving Containers Work
They are also referred to as shipping containers. Moving containers are large storage units commonly used for storing and moving possessions over long distances. They are wooden or metallic weather-resistant units that protect your belongings from adverse weather conditions while they are in transit.
If you want to use a moving container, all you need to do is prearrange with a moving company that uses them. It will be dropped off at your home, and you can begin loading your belongings. The time you have to secure all your possessions inside the container depends on your agreement with the company. When you are done, a driver picks it up and drives it to your new location. Again, you will have some time to unload your possessions before a truck comes to take the container(s) away.
Moving container sizes vary depending on how many belongings you want to move. For instance, the smallest containers can hold items that would comfortably fit in a studio apartment. The larger ones can hold up to four bedrooms’ worth of household items. If you are moving a lot of furniture and belongings, you may need several moving containers.
How Much Does It Cost to Use a Moving Container?
The amount of money you need to pay depends on several factors and may vary from one moving company to the next. Some of these factors include:
- The size of containers you need and how many you are going to use. If a company has a fixed rate for each container, you may have to pay more for each additional container you use.
- Higher moving prices are common during summer, with lower rates in winter.
- The duration of time you remain with the moving containers.
- The distance you need your belongings moved. It is far more expensive to move across states than locally.
Shipping Containers Vs. Moving Trucks
Are you wondering why you should go with a moving container instead of just renting a moving truck? Here are a few similarities and differences to help put things into perspective:
- Moving containers offer you the convenience that is rare to find with moving trucks. You get ample time to pack, unpack and store your possessions if need be. This means that you can rent a shipping container for several weeks or even months. Although this aspect also makes them far more expensive than moving trucks, you should fully utilize the convenient timelines when you can. Moving trucks certainly don’t offer extra storage.
- Are you opposed to the idea of driving a large truck? Moving containers are an excellent alternative. The driver will be in charge of transporting your belongings to their destination.
- If you choose to use moving containers, you cannot access your belongings before reaching your destination. However, a moving truck allows you to access your possessions at any point in your journey.
- Moving trucks offer you more control over your journey, which could be good or bad, depending on your preferences.
Advantages and Limitations of Using a Moving Container for Long Distances
- Moving containers are cheaper compared to hiring movers. That is especially true if you are moving several rooms worth personal belongings and furniture, need additional storage, or have many miles to travel.
- Storage has to be the most attractive aspect of using moving containers. You can pack at your own pace and store your belongings for as long as you need. Moving trucks have strict schedules that demand you do everything at their pace.
- On the downside, you are responsible for all the loading and unloading, which, we dare say, is no easy task.
- Moving containers can take up a lot of driveway and parking space, which may not sit well with your neighbors.
Your long-distance move deserves to be as seamless as possible. A reputable moving company can help to relocate you in the luxury and convenience you need. What’s more? You also get the best tips to help you get started.