Taking off makeup can be a little bittersweet. You have probably spent some time ensuring you look great, and now it’s time to take off your hard work. Nevertheless, you need to remove your makeup before you sleep at night.
Why you Should Remove Your Makeup
Makeup removal can affect how your skin looks and feels after the fact. This is why you should remove makeup properly before you sleep. Removing your makeup is important because:
- Your skin rejuvenates at night, and this process can be up to three times more than during the day. Leaving makeup on at night hinders this important process.
- It makes your skin dry and itchy.
- It can cause breakouts or aggravate acne. Makeup mixes with dirt and oil, which clogs your pores.
- It can cause your skin to look dull.
- It can cause your skin to age prematurely and cause wrinkles.
- It can cause eye infections. Makeup particles can enter the eyes at night and cause irritation, itchiness, and further complications like infections and cysts.
- It can result in skin pigmentation.
Mistakes to Avoid
Before you remove makeup, there are certain mistakes you need to avoid. These mistakes include:
- Using the wrong products. Using products with harsh ingredients can dry out your skin and further irritate sensitive skin. In addition, choosing products that do not match your skin can cause it to dry out or become dull. Your skin can also become inflamed when you use the wrong products.
- Using very hot or very cold water. Water is great for your skin. However, using hot water will strip your skin of its natural oils and dehydrate it. Very cold water will not be able to remove the makeup properly.
- Tugging on your skin. Tugging on your skin to remove makeup can cause your skin to lose its elasticity. Be gentle on your skin. If you notice that you need to rub your face more, you may be using less product to remove the makeup.
- Only using wipes. Wipes are a convenient product for removing makeup. However, they can only remove so much makeup. You should only use them to remove the top layer of makeup.
- Not moisturizing. Leaving your skin bare after cleansing can dry it out. Applying a moisturizer will help rehydrate the skin. You can use gel moisturizers as an option. They are water-based and less greasy, and better absorbed by the skin.
- Forgetting the neck. Even though you apply makeup on your neck, it is easy to forget to wipe it out, especially if you do not take a shower.
Makeup Removal Products
- Cleanser. A cleanser is a skin care product used to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. A cleanser helps to keep the pores open and prevent acne and other skin issues. There are gel cleansers, foam cleansers, and cream cleansers.
- Wipes. Makeup remover wipes are wipes made with ingredients that can remove makeup. They are great for a light-face beat. However, some wipes come with ingredients that can damage your skin in the process. They can also strip your face of its natural oils, causing it to dry out.
- Micellar water. Micellar water is a product made of purified water, surfactants, and a moisturizer. This product cleanses, tones, hydrates, and opens clogged pores.
- Makeup removal pads. Most makeup removal pads are reusable and eco-friendly. Flat cotton pads are much better than cotton balls as they do not leave any product behind.
How to Remove Makeup
Now that we know what to avoid and what to use let us look at the best way to remove makeup.
First, tie your hair. If you have hair, tie it back to ensure that the face, neck, and behind the ears are exposed.
Next, go in with a cleanser. As mentioned, a cleanser will help remove any makeup and dirt on your face. Massage the cleanser on your face using makeup pads or your hands. If you are using your hands, wash them first. Dirty hands will not work well. Once you apply the cleanser, let it sit for around 15 seconds to absorb the makeup. Use a washcloth to wipe it off. If you feel that there is still more foundation, repeat the process.
Do not forget the hairline, neck, and eyes. Though mascara and liner can be difficult to remove, take your time to rub them off gently. The eyes are sensitive, and you need to prevent the product from getting inside.
You can then apply Vitamin C serum to give you a bright complexion. Vitamin C also helps to slow the aging process and reduce dark stops and acne.
Apply moisturizer. Choose a moisturizer suitable to your skin. Moisturizer will help add moisture to your skin and add a protective barrier. Avoid using any moisturizer that has sunscreen.
Great makeup can make you feel good about yourself, but great skin will make you feel even better. Following the tips mentioned above will help you maintain healthy skin. Use the right products for your skin, and take your time. Rushing the process will leave makeup residue.
Be gentle with your skin. Do not tug or rub your skin vigorously.