My sewing skills are very less, but this sewing pattern is all in straight lines, so it is a super easy task. All you need is about a yard of fabric for making a pillow case. I was thinking about this project because I was shifting gears to the master bedroom, with a few projects and this is one of them, starting with the sewing of some pillow cases. This project is a great task for the beginners who are interested in learning how to sew some simple things. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to complete a task. I know it is weird, but to oblige your kids you should use the fabric of good attractive color and prints also.
Materials you need
- 1 to 2 yards of fabric or cloth.
- Sewing machine.
- Straight pins.
These are the measurements of a simple size pillow case. On the other hand, if you want to make alterations in its size to make a king size or a queen size of it, you can easily do that. Adjustments will be minor, and the measurements will differ to a small extent.
Follow these steps
Pick out the fabric or cloth
- For making the pillowcases the fabric you should use should be comfortable against the skin, like soft satin, cotton, flannel, or a jersey knit fabric.
- Pick the fabric that matches the color scheme of your bedroom, your bed covers and sheet spreads.
- To make a pair of identical pillowcases, you will need 2 yards of 1.8 m of fabric.
- You should use a washable fabric, if you want to sleep on pillowcases.
- To fill in the purpose of making decorative pillowcases, choose the fabric which is not soft and is easy to wash.
- You should choose any type of fabric, that should complement the color scheme of your bedroom.
Cutting the fabric
- Use a scissors or rotatory cutter to cut out the piece; 45 inches in length and 36 inches in width for making a pillowcase.
- You should take care of fabric while cutting that print should be straight, if you are using a patterned fabric or printed fabric.
Folding of fabric in two equal halves
- With its finished sides, fold it lengthwise or the right sides of the fabric together.
- You should be careful that the unfinished sides or the wrong sides should be facing outside.
Stitch the one short side and long side
- Use a threaded needle or sewing machine to sew a straight stitch up the long side of a fabric.
- Continue stitching one of the short sides, and turn the fabric.
- Turn the fabric right side out, when you are finished with your task.
- To add a little flair and attraction in your pillow, you may use a same color of thread that matches with your fabric or you may also opt for the thread of some other contrast color.
- On the other hand if you are stitching the pillow with your hand, make sure that the seam should be completely straight.
- You can also pin up your fabric with the straight pins, if necessary, to help and guide yourself.
Open sides should be hemmed
- Start by folding the fabric back for the creation of 1.5 hem.
- To create the crease iron the fabric.
- You should create a 3 inch hem this time, fold the fabric again to back side.
- Now use your sewing machine or a needle and thread to stitch around the base of the hem because you have it keep it in a place.
- Iron the fabric again.
- You can also add the decorative laces, ribbons and other decorations when the pillowcase is finished.
For decorative pillowcase follow these steps
Picking out the fabric
- For sewing the decorative pillowcase , you need three different fabrics of different colors.
- For making the main section of pillow case, and a second fabric for the hem around the open side, and a third accent side.
- You should take three different prints with same color or three solid colors fabric.
- The fabrics should not match exactly but it will be helpful if they share one or two colors.
- The attractive prints and colors of pillowcases makes excellent gifts.
Cutting the fabric
- Use scissors for cutting the fabric of a right size.
- Cut the main piece of fabric to 26 inch and 44 inch.
- Cut the second piece of fabric to 12 inch and 44 inch.
- Cut the last piece of fabric to 2 inch and 44 inch.
Iron the fabric
- Use the iron to remove the wrinkles, for preparing the fabric for sewing.
- Iron the large and medium piece to flat.
- Fold the trim in half in lengthwise with wrong sides together and iron it.
Spread the fabric
- Medium piece of fabric should be placed right side up on your work place.
- With the edge of medium fabric, line up the trim fabric so that the raw edges are at the outside and folded side is on inside.
- Lay the large piece of fabric on the medium and trim fabric, right side down.
- All the layers of fabric should be aligned along the top edge.
- The edges of fabric layers should be pinned up to hold them in place.
- Continue rolling few inches of the pinned edge.
- Fold the medium size fabric over the roll, and align it on the pinned edge.
- Sew straight stitch along the pinned edge of the fabric.
- Remove the pins as you stitch.
- Pull the medium fabric, and reverse it.
- Wrong sides should be facing out.
- Leave the hemmed side open
- Turn the pillow case right side out.
So, now when you know how to make a standard pillowcase, you can do it yourself without wasting your time and money to find a tailor for the purpose. You can always play with the color scheme and design, if you know the basic method.