Though there are several knives, you can purchase in the market, but just before you set out to purchase a knife, it is essential that you know what to look out for in identifying a quality knife. Identifying quality knives means that you will be able to choose a knife that will serve you for a more extended period. Maybe you’ve seen people purchase the same knife types, but one tends to last longer than the other. Aside from the rate at which each of the knives is being used, a logical explanation as to why one lasts longer than the other will be the difference in quality. Is it not amazing how the handle of some knives will begin to shake or even fall off after a short use while the blades of other knives get blunt easily? The good thing is that you don’t need an expert to choose a quality knife for you. You too can do it yourself by just knowing what to look out for. So, how do you identify a good knife? Follow the guides below:
- Material: most knives are made of metals; hence, the first thing you need to check before purchasing a knife is the quality of material from which the knife is made. For example, for over five decades, the hallmark of good European knives is Stainless chromium molybdenum-vanadium steel. Any knife made of this kind of steel tends to last longer. In fact, such a knife is what we can call, a quality knife. Knives carved from this steel tend to have absolute sharpness and don’t get blunt easily. The steel also poses no health hazards when used on consumables. Other blade materials are less recommendable for your daily domestic use. This is because they can’t last as long as the Stainless chromium molybdenum-vanadium steel. For example, blades made of ceramics can easily break, and you can only get it sharpened by a professional. Another steel type called Damast steel is also of high quality, but it gets rust easily and can’t be sharpened easily unless you get a whetstone. The best knife material you should, therefore look out for is Stainless chromium molybdenum-vanadium steel.
- Sharpness: you shouldn’t purchase a knife that’s already blunt before use. Knives are expected to be sharp when unused. If you, therefore, go to the store to get a knife, you should check out its sharpness. You also need to realize that checking the sharpness is not enough because a knife can be sharp from the start and become blunt after a few uses. It only takes a good knife to remain sharp after continuous use. In order to identify whether or not a knife will maintain its sharpness, you should check if it is made of high-quality steel. A good knife that will retain its sharpness must have undergone a heat treatment. Following the heat treatment, its edge will then be carefully sharpened by experts.
- Handle: it doesn’t matter how sharp a knife is, if its handle is not firm enough, it will still not perform its purpose well enough as you want it. Therefore, you must also check the handle of the knife you’re about to purchase. If the grip of a knife is firm in hand, it makes cutting easier. You should go for a knife whose handle is ergonomically shaped and designed with high-quality plastic. This kind of knife is firm and can easily be handled. They prevent hand fatigue and dangerous slipping.
- On the other hand, if you’re going for a knife with riveted handles, you should endeavor that the rivets are made to be part of the knife and not just applied to it. Applied rivets tend to rust faster. Generally, before purchasing a knife, you should grab the handle and see how firm it is in your hand. Try to shake the knife gently and see if the handles don’t shake. If you are used to throwing axe or hatchet, you will surely understand the significance of a good handle.
- Toughness: you should check the knife’s toughness. This will tell you how well the knife you’re about to purchase will resist damage. Some knives are of less quality; hence, they tend to break easily after a few uses. You should try to bend the knife’s blade and see if it is flexible or not. A sturdy blade will resist cracks. You need to realize that a broken knife is useless and can even be dangerous if you continue to use it. It is, therefore, important that you only get a knife that is tough and can last longer without the handle or blade breaking. One option is great Japanese knives as well that you should consider.
A good knife will save you money and make cooking easy for you. Try not to settle for just any time of knife, when shopping.