Everyone wants their baby or toddler to be totally safe when in the car. Using a good car seat is a wonderful way to keep your kids safe when they are in a vehicle. Car crashes tend to be one of the main causes of death as well as injury for children. An effective car seat can save lives.
However, if you want your kid to remain safe, you need to select the correct safety seat and use this properly. The best one will be that which fits the child’s weight, size, age, and also be perfect for your vehicle.
What to keep in mind when choosing a car seat
There are some points to remember if you want to get a seat that is right for the child:
- The car seat should meet or even exceed any safety standards in the area you stay. The seat’s label will have the information concerning this.
- Get to know how to properly install the seat and employ the harness prior to your child using the seat. It is not a good idea to depend only on store displays when wanting to know how to do this.
- If you want help or want to see if the seat has been installed properly, go to a child car seat inspection station if there is any present. A local health department, hospital, fire department, etc. may be able to help. Get help from some certified child passenger safety technician.
- If you decide to get a secondhand car seat you need to be careful. If the seat was involved in a crash you should not get it. It can be damaged and in ways which are not obvious to the eyes. A seat which does not have some parts or there is no manufacture date along with model number should not be used. There should be an instruction manual. Check out the recommended expiration date of the seat. It is better to get a secondhand car seat from someone you know and trust so that they can tell you its history.
Different types of car seats
There are a variety of car seats available that you can look at. Babies begin with an infant-only or rear-facing or convertible seat. When they grow, children can turn to forward-facing seats then get a booster seat.
Carefully check out the rules and instructions on any car seat you get. Look at the weight limit. It is important that the car seat fit properly in your car. According to your requirements, choose the best seat. For example if you want to move your baby around from the car to the stroller in the car seat, get one that can do this like an infant-only seat.
When looking for a car seat you may become confused with the many brands selling these. Do not make a decision based on the cost of the seat. One that is very expensive may not be the best for you. Choose comfortable ones like comfortable baby car seats at Mother’s Choice for instance.
Things to Consider in Choosing a Baby Car Seat
Safety-The first and most important thing to keep in mind is safety. A car seat’s main purpose is to keep the child safe and secure while driving, make sure that it will do its job.
Size-Keep in mind when choosing an infant car seat is the height and weight limit. A car seat of the right size is essential to keep your baby secure.
Comfort-Is your baby comfortable enough to sleep in the seat?
Keep the baby happy at the back of your car for an entire journey. If your child isn’t comfortable in their seat, they will cry!
Extra padding and material breath-ability will do wonders.
Installation- a critical factor to take into account when choosing a seat. It starts by making sure that the seat will fit your car in the first place.
Maintenance: car seats should be easy to wash and maintain. Car seats will get dirty quickly and often so it should be easy to wash and maintain. The seat cover, in particular, should be easily removable and machine washable.
Portability: If you expect carry your seat by hand often, check the portability.
The weight of a car seat is something worth keeping in mind. Some car seats are significantly heavier than others.
Features: car seats should have the following features that are most helpful to care giver.
*Cushion side-impact protection
*Car seat base
*Compatibility with the LATCH system
Price: consider how much should you spend on a car seat. In general, the more you spend the more features and quality materials you may get.
Advantages of a Baby Car Seat
- Child safety: On non-availability of a car seat, children are mostly in the lap of their parents or in the rear seat without child safety. A car seat will not only safeguard the child in case of an accident but also when sudden brakes are applied.
- Convertible baby carrier basket: If you are going out and your baby sleeps in the car, you do not have to worry about waking the kid while moving out of the car. You simply have to uninstall the car seat and take it along with you while your baby sleeps comfortably.
- Comfort: The rear seat of the car is huge for the child. You do not want the kid to slide through the seat with every turn. A car seat can solve this problem. The child can snuggle in the car seat and enjoy the family ride. Trust us; a happy and comfortable kid is lot easier to handle.
- Assurance for parents: Parents are always worried for the safety of their child. A car seat frees parents from all such worries and enables both the parents and the kid to enjoy their ride. With this assurance, the parent can concentrate on their driving.
Did you know?
That infant car seats have an expiration date? Because materials stretch and deteriorate over time, most car seats will expire within five to seven years. Always check the expiration date of a car seat before purchasing.
That 46% of child seats and boosters are installed incorrectly. A poorly installed seat leaves a child vulnerable in a crash.
That in cases of accidents, children are most prone to injuries. A survey report states that car seats can reduce child injury and death by 71% and 28%, respectively.