Has your doctor recommended that you “eat a rainbow of fruits and vegetables”? This guide will explain which fruits & veggies are the healthiest and categorize them by the color. Color classification for foods is an excellent way to make distinctions because different nutritious foods can be grouped together by their color. For instance, when you hear the word “greens” you probably associate it with spinach, broccoli, and kale.
Below we’ll categorize and list only the healthiest fruits and vegetables that provide health benefits beyond bare-level nutrition. For maximum health benefits, we recommend combining the foods listed below with other whole grains, beverages, and supplements. You may be surprised to find out about the health benefits of colored foods.
The main benefit of eating a rainbow of colorful foods is that you supply your body with all the daily vitamins and minerals it needs. You get the best antioxidants that help aid the kidney/liver in the removal of toxins and improve the functioning of the heart. The best part about it: Low calories. Most foods listed below contain few calories which means they can be consumed in large amounts.
Studies indicate that colorful, plant-based foods can help aid the body in the battle against cancers, heart diseases, vision/hearing loss, bone strength, tensions, and other diseases. Write these products down and pay a visit to the farmer’s market to pick up all the nutritional power foods listed below. Click here to learn about juicers that can integrate colorful foods together in a tasty smoothie.
Food Color: GREEN
The healthiest and most nutritious foods of all are the greens. Green foods are the go-to foods doctors recommend to their patients for everything from diseases to weight loss. Greens provide all the essential nutrients your body needs to function on an optimal level daily and a smaller intake of nutritious greens can amount to a higher intake of less nutritious fruits of other colors.
Example: Broccoli is known to contain folic acid which pregnant women consume to reduce the likelihood of birth defects. Greens have all the essential nutrients necessary to fight cancer and reduce cholesterol. They can also help in the regulation of digestion, boost the immune system, and help regenerate muscles. Make greens a part of your daily food intake for optimal health benefits.
- Green Vegetables: The best green vegetables to consume are spinach, broccoli, kale, cabbage, lettuce, beans, Brussels sprouts, peas, pepper, cucumbers, and zucchini.
- Green Fruits: The best green fruits to consume are kiwi, grapes, lime, avocadoes, and apples.
Food Color: WHITE
White fruits and vegetables are high in nutritious content which is tied to improvements in the blood flow – this makes them excellent for people struggling with cholesterol and high blood pressure. White fruits are excellent for the immune system and can supplement greens. White foods are also high on antioxidants that aid the kidneys and liver in the removal of toxins from the body.
- White Vegetables: The best white vegetables to consume are mushrooms, potatoes, cauliflower, onions, garlic, and turnips.
- White Fruits: The best white fruits to consume are bananas, pears, nectarines, and peaches.
Food Color: RED
Red fruits and vegetables contain nutrients that aid the functioning of the heart and the blood flow in the body. Red-colored fruits/vegetables are high in antioxidants which are essential for the prevention of diseases such as atherosclerosis. Studies also indicate that they can lower cholesterol in the body. Red fruits and veggies can aid in the battle against different cancers such as prostate cancer. Red foods also directly improve cognitive function in the brain.
- Red Vegetables: The best red vegetables to consume are tomatoes, red cabbage, and beets.
- Red Fruits: The best red fruits to consume are apples, strawberries, watermelons, cherries, raspberries, cranberries, and grapes.
Food color: BLUE/PURPLE
Blue and purple fruits and vegetables contain properties that aid in the prevention of strokes and heart disease. Purple fruits and vegetables are important for cognitive functions such as memory and they can slow down the negative effects of aging. Certain foods in this category were also linked to improvements in the urinary tract and digestion.
- Blue/Purple Vegetables: The best blue/purple vegetables to consume are cabbage, eggplant, and purple potatoes.
- Blue/Purple Fruits: The best blue/purple fruits to consume are blueberries, blackberries, plums, raisins, and grapes.
FOOD COLOR: YELLOW
Yellow (and orange!) fruits and vegetables are packed with nutrients that have an important role to play in skin health such as B2 vitamins. Yellow fruits and vegetables protect the nervous system and they can improve vision while reducing the negative effects of heart diseases. For stronger bones and better skin, these are the go-to foods.
- Yellow Vegetables: The best yellow and orange vegetables to consume are carrots, potatoes, yellow tomatoes, corn, pumpkin, and peppers.
- Yellow Fruits: The best yellow and orange fruits to consume are apples, oranges, grapefruit, mangoes, papaya fruit, pineapples, oranges, and apricots.