Deciding to get a divorce is not easy. Also, it is not something that can be taken lightly since the way the marriage is dissolved can have consequences that can follow you for years. And while you are thinking about getting a divorce and the myriads of items that will have to be separated and decided upon, you also need to decide whether you need a divorce lawyer or not. Read on to find out some important points about how a divorce lawyer can help you before making up your mind.
Can you talk to your spouse?
Depending on how broken the relationship is between you and your spouse, any attempt at communication may be an impossibility. However, if things have not yet reached that extreme, talking about some major issues and how you would like to resolve them will make your divorce process run much more smoothly.
The most important issues you would need to agree upon are:
- How your property and assets you both own will be divided
- How the custody of your minor children will be set up
- Who will pay child support and how much
- Whether there will be alimony payments, for how long, and how much
What are the advantages of making your own decisions?
If you are able to come up with a workable plan for the divorce, agreeing on the major issues described above, you will feel much better simply because you will have control of these aspects affecting your family’s life instead of relying on the court to decide for you.
Saving Time and Money
Not needing to have a divorce attorney through all of these decisions will definitely save you time and money. And money may just be what you are trying to be smart about at this time.
Less Impact on the Children
For children, seeing that their parents live apart, they can communicate civilly will not be as harmful to the children as being involved in a battle between you and your spouse.
Agreeing on these issues means that you are going for an uncontested divorce and you can ask the court in writing to grant it to you. Find out whether your state would require court hearings if there are minor children involved.
What are the advantages of working with a divorce lawyer?
If communication with your spouse has completely broken down, a divorce lawyer may provide a calming presence when you must both get together.
Other advantages that divorce lawyers offer are:
- They will help you get your fair share of the assets.
- They may help move forward the process much faster.
- You will be informed as to what you are entitled to by law.
- Your rights as a parent will be preserved when it comes to child custody issues.
- You can rest assured that your rights will be protected.
- You will have someone with whom you can review all important documents.
Do take the time to find a divorce attorney you feel comfortable with. Explain what you are looking to achieve and see if they understand your needs and will work to fulfill them. Remember that your spouse will also be hiring legal representation since the same attorney cannot represent you both.