Welcome to post 2 of my Make it Yourself Series! My first post was about making organic baby products. This post explains how to make organic bath (and after bath) products. I won’t get into all of the details here, but I would recommend doing some research on what is normally in these types of products and what they do to your body – it’s horrific!
I started off just using my own homemade, organic lotion and I loved how it made my skin feel. From then on, I could never go back to store bought lotion (and my skin would break out if I tried!). So I branched out and tried making some other bath products. Here are my “recipes” for all of these.
The next post in this series will be homemade, organic (non-bath) hygiene products, such as deodorant and lip balm.
I hope you enjoy!
- Items You Need: 2 cups Epsom salt, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, ½ cup bentonite clay (optional), 5-10 drops essential oils, 1 cup sea salt, 1 cup baking soda, 2 tablespoons glycerine (more for dry skin, less for oily skin) – this makes a lot, so I use this amount for 2 baths.
- Mix all ingredients well in a bowl and pour into a jar.
- Pour everything in your bath, and relax.
- Drink a glass of water afterwards.
- Go right to bed, and you will wake up refreshed!
Coconut Oil Lotion
- Items You Need: 1 cup coconut oil; 1 tablespoon vitamin E; 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel; essential oils; 2 tablespoons cocoa butter
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer.
- Transfer to a jar, or an empty lotion tub.
- Items You Need: 4 tbsp coconut oil; 2 tbsp cocoa butter; 1 tsp baking soda (purchase from a health store); 4 tbsp castille soap; 1 tbsp aloe vera gel; 1.5 cups water; 4 drops essential oils
- Put coconut oil and cocoa butter into a mason jar.
- Put the mason jar into a saucepan that is filled with 2 inches of water. Heat the saucepan on medium until the oil and cocoa butter has melted. Remove from heat.
- Use gloves to remove the mason jar, and pour the mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix with an electric mixer.
- Transfer to a jar, and it’s ready to use!
- 1 cup castille soap (use a little bit more if you have dry skin); ¾ cup water; 1 tsp liquid glycerin; 10 drops essential oils
- Simply pour all ingredients into a jar and mix well. It’s ready to use!
- ½ cup cornstarch; ½ cup citric acid powder; 1 cup baking soda (from a health store); 1 tbsp sea salt; 2 tsp olive oil; ½ cup witch hazel; 10 drops essential oils
- Mix together than cornstarch, citric acid powder, baking soda, and sea salt in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together olive oil and essential oils.
- Combine the dry ingredients and wet ingredients until they are combined well.
- Pour the witch hazel into a spray bottle.
- Begin making little balls from the ingredients. If they crumble, spray with the witch hazel until you get the desired consistency.
- Place the balls into greased muffin tins. Press into the tin firmly, and let sit until hardened (about 48 hours). Store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use them. Please note: they should be used within about 3 weeks.
Bath Sugar Scrub & Exfoliant
- ½ cup sugar; ½ cup brown sugar; 1/3 cup sea salt; 2 tbsp olive oil; 2 tbsp coconut oil, 10 drops essential oils
- Simply mix all ingredients together. If you’d like a coarse texture, add more sugar and sea salt. If you’d like a smooth texture, add more oil